Robert F. Norris, M.D. Obituary (November 24, 1993)
Robert F. Norris, 88, former director of pathology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and founder of Pendel Labs, a private pathology laboratory, died November 24, 1993 at Dunwoody Village, Newtown Square, PA, where had lived since 1989. Born in Wilmington, he was educated at Phillips Exeter Academy and Princeton University. He received a medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1932 and was an intern at Pennsylvania Hospital, where he also worked for a time as assistant director of the pathology laboratory. After spending five years in the Navy Medical Corps during WWII, he joined the staff of the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in 1947, He became a professor of pathology and directory of the William Pepper Laboratory in 1950, positions he helduntil he retired in 1963. After retiring, he founded Pendel Labs, which he directed until 1985 when he sold it. He was a birthright member of the Religious Society of Friends, and a member of the Haverford Meeting. He bolonged to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, the Merion Cricket Club, the Racquet Club, Sons of the Revolution and the Baronial Order of Mana Charta. Survivors: his wife, Mary Morris Scattergood Norris; daughters, Anne N. Baldwin and Victoria N. Dean, and four grandchildren.